2014 Montpelier Motor Speedway FWD Compact Rules
The FWD Compact class is a budget/economy class that allows drivers
a chance to go racing with minimal investment. This class is all
about having fun while gaining beginning or additional race
experience! Drivers must be at least fourteen years of age unless
approved in advance by track promoter (a copy of birth certificate
DO NOT OVERSPEND!
KEEP YOUR CARS WITHIN THE FACTORY PRODUCTION
1. Four or six cylinder front wheel drive passenger cars are
eligible with a wheelbase between 92-105 inches. No Luminas or
similar style frames.
2. Cars must utilize engine available in the car/body style being
3. No all wheel drive. No all-wheel steer.
4. A diagnostic plug under the dash must be present.
Engines & Transmission:
1. Only four or six cylinder naturally aspirated engines will be
allowed. Engine must be
Completely Stock as manufactured by factory including engine,
drive train, ignition components, suspension components, and fuel
system, except as noted below.
Only the complete stock
engine/drive train for the
make and model as delivered from
the factory may be used.
No rotary engines.
2. All 6 cylinder engines may utilize only one cam per head and 2
valves per cylinder. V-6’s must run an automatic
transmission. 3.8 GM V6 Engines are not allowed. See exhaust
dimension rules below for exhaust restriction requirements.
3. Stock intake manifold must be used with no modifications.
4. Stock exhaust manifold must be used with no modifications.
Headers are not permitted. Removal of smog, emission, air
conditioning, and power steering parts are permitted.
5. A complete exhaust must be in place completely under vehicle. No
portion of exhaust may pass through interior and must exit under
vehicle behind the driver. Removal of catalytic converter is
6. Cars with engines utilizing Dual Over Head Cams or more than 1
cam may NOT have exhaust that exceeds 1.5” in diameter. All other
cars must utilize exhaust with 2” diameter maximum. The exhaust
system must be completely sealed and the maximum diameter must be
utilized in at least the last 24” of the exhaust pipe.
7. Must use stock style starter. Battery may be relocated to an area
behind driver. If so it must be secured & covered.
8. Transmission must remain stock and unmodified for that vehicle’s
production. Transmission must have working forward and reverse
9. No V-Tech Engines. No Adjustable Timing Camshafts. No JDM
engines. Turbo chargers, super chargers, carburetors, or nitrous
oxide are NOT allowed.
1. All exterior trim, including lights, body moldings, mirrors, etc.
must be removed. Stock body panels are to be used. Only stock
bumpers may be used. Drivers and passenger door must be welded or
2. Cars must have stock frame, stock firewall, and stock floor pan.
All openings in firewall & floor pan must be covered. No reinforcing
of body outside the drivers compartment. Hood must be secured with a
minimum of two hood pins each (NOT BOLTS).
Windshield must be replaced with heavy gauge wire mesh. 3 bars of
3/8” diameter must be welded to the roll cage in front of driver.
All glass must be removed from the vehicle.
4. Spoilers will be allowed Stock or Aftermarket. Aftermarket
spoilers can be a maximum of five inches tall and 50 inches wide.
All flammable interior trim is to be removed from passenger
compartment & trunk. No removal of ANY interior sheet metal panels
except in drivers door to make room for cage. Heating and air
conditioning box may be removed.
Racing Seat is required.
Steering column and pedals must remain stock. All air bag components
must be removed.
A full four point standard cage is required. Cage must go completely
from left to right side and may not protect just the driver’s side.
All cars must have a minimum of three door bars on the driver’s side
and two on passenger side. Minimum 1/8” thick plate must be welded
or bolted to the outside of the driver’s door bars. Cages must be
welded or bolted to the floor of the car. All cars must have crush
zones and bars cannot go all the way to rear of trunk area if tied
to strut tower. A maximum of two rear down bars may be used to
support the hoop. These bars may run from the top of the hoop behind
the driver and extend to the front of the rear firewall. A single
cross bar or "X" may be used between these down bars. Rear down bars
MUST be attached to the trunk FLOOR. Main cage must have at least
two bars running from left to right, between the uprights, behind
the driver. One at floor level, and one at shoulder height of the
driver. Roll Cage tubing must be minimum 1 ½” diameter and .095
9. Main Shut-Off switch for electric fuel pump must be easily
accessible by Safety Personnel, and clearly labeled as such.
10. Cars must have tow chains or tow hooks front and back for tow
truck pick up.
11. Cars must be neat in appearance and neatly numbered on BOTH
SIDES and TOP with a minimum of 18” numbers.
Tires & Suspension:
1. All four tires and wheels must be the same size, series and
offset. D.O.T. approved passenger car tires only. No "made for
racing" tires. All tires must be non- Directional, All Season Radials.
No Asymmetrical tires. Tires can be 13, 14, or 15 inches maximum.
They can be 75, 70, 65, or 60 series
2. A maximum of seven-inch width for 15-inch wheels and six and one
half inches for 14-inch wheels. All four wheels must be the same
size and offset. Racing wheels are allowed (NOT required), but must
maintain same size and offset as OEM. No rear wheel drive offset
wheels will be allowed. No spacers will be allowed behind wheels.
3. Steering and suspension shall remain stock. OEM style shocks,
struts, and springs ONLY may be used. No heating or cutting of
spring allowed. Spring Rubbers will be allowed (1 per wheel). No
progressive rate springs will be allowed.
4. For cars that do not have camber adjustments built in from the
factory, modification of existing parts, to allow for camber only
adjustments will be allowed, but subject to approval. Front Camber
adjustment is 2 ¾” Maximum. Rear Camber adjustment is 1” Maximum.
5. All four brakes must remain stock. ABSOLUTELY NO ABS OR TRACTION
CONTROL. All ABS sensors must be disabled.
6. Cars that have fuel tank mounted in front of rear axle may use
stock tank. If tank is not mounted in front of rear axle, a fuel
cell or marine type tank must be used and securely mounted in the
trunk area of the car. Trunk mounted tanks cannot be mounted within
ten inches of the rear trunk panel and may not extend beyond the
side frame rails. All fuel tank installations must be centered
between the rear wheels.
7. No emergency brakes allowed.
It is the sole responsibility of each competitor for the
effectiveness and proper installation, per the manufacturer’s
specifications to be adequate for competition at every event. Each
competitor is expected to investigate and educate themselves for
continuing improvement regarding their own personal safety
Seat Belt/Restraint System
1. Each car should be equipped with an approved 5 point seat belt
restraint system within the date of the belt expiration. Seat belts
restraint systems shall be installed in accordance with the
directions and application of the system supplier or manufacturer.
2. Seat belt webbing that comes into contact with any sharp or
unradiused metal edge should be protected from that edge by means of
push on grip vinyl trim.. Seat manufacturers supply the seat with
trim protecting the webbing from abrasion or cutting under impact
conditions and should be used to their specifications.
Helmet, Fire Suit, Gloves, Window Net, and Other
1. Each driver must wear an approved full face helmet, fire suit
with top and bottom, and racing shoes and gloves.
The driver should wear the helmet and other
safety equipment in accordance with the directions provided by the
helmet manufacturer and/or supplier and the driver should make sure
that equipment dates and quality/protection needs meets the needs of
2. Head and Neck restraints are strongly recommended.
3. Driver door net or triangle is required
4. Fire Extinguisher easily assessable to driver is recommended
1. RACEceiver (one way) Radio is
mandatory and shall be used by drivers during all wheel packing, hot
laps, heat races, and B/A Main sessions.
1. NO WEIGHT OR BALLASTS ARE TO BE ADDED TO CAR unless as a penalty
per these rules and must be mounted in location to be determined by
2. Officials may change any of the FWD Compact rules in the interest
of fairness and safety at any time and all decisions are final!
Officials may also alter the rules to encourage local
3. Cars may be inspected at anytime. If car is found illegal,
driver will lose all money and points for that night.
cars will follow all track procedures and car entry requirements.
Any driver or
car in the Super Streets, Thunder Car, or FWD Compact division that
wins three consecutive A Main events at the Montpelier Motor Speedway
will be required to start the next A Main feature at the tail of the
field. If the next event is a special paying event, the penalty
will not be assessed until the next regular event if the consecutive
win streak is still in place. Any car that wins from the tail due to
penalty will be subject to inspection before competing again at the
Montpelier Motor Speedway. The penalty will be assessed until
the driver/car win streak is broken.
THE PROMOTER/TRACK OFFICIALS
SHALL BE EMPOWERED TO PERMIT MINOR DEVIATION FROM ANY OF THE
SPECIFICATIONS HEREIN OR IMPOSE FURTHER RESTRICTIONS THAT IN THEIR
OPINIONS DO NOT ALTER THE MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE REQUIREMENTS. NO
EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHOULD RESULT FROM SUCH
ALTERATIONS OF SPECIFICATIONS. ANY INTERPRETATION OR DEVIATION OF
THESE RULES IS LEFT TO THE DISCRETION OF THE PROMOTER/TRACK OFFICIALS.
PROMOTER/OFFICIAL DECISIONS ARE FINAL.
The absence of a specific rule does
not imply approval, consent, or permission regarding the subject.
IF IT IS NOT IN THESE RULES, DO NOT