2018 Montpelier Motor Speedway Midget Rules
All cars shall appear and fit the guidelines of a “traditional” midget
Minimum Weight – 1,050 Pounds (Including Driver) – Cars powered by Fontana, Esslinger, Stanton, Gaerte, and other purpose built engines are legal and will fall under this guideline.
Midgets Powered By Spec Engines, Honda/Ford Focus, Volkswagen, Entirely Stock Production Block and Head, Chevy II, etc… – No Minimum Weight
Open Tire Rule (Compound and Brand) ALL 4 Corners.A maximum 10″ width right rear rim may be used. A maximum 12″ width tire may be mounted to the 10″ rim.
Use of only 1 right rear for entire race event (heat race and all features) unless approved by race official to be flat or a potential safety hazard. If a replacement is required, the replacement tire must be the same compound and brand as the tire being approved for removal. All tires will be marked following hot laps.
All cars shall appear as a “traditional” midget
All 1000CC and greater Upright Mini Sprints (Non Wing) are eligible to compete in the midget class. Cars falling under Mini Sprint rules will be motorcycle engine powered and may be chain driven or utilize a traditional drive-line and quick-change rear end. All cars under caution and restarts shall maintain an idle speed as great as the full production midget. Cars that fail to do this will be sent to the tail.
No Minimum Weight
Open Tire Brand/Compound ALL 4 corners with a maximum 12″ width right rear wheel rim.
USAC Midwest Thunder D2 Midgets
– follows USAC MWT Midget Rules
– $100 bonus and trophy to the highest finishing D2 midget in the A main. In order to be eligible for the $100 bonus, the D2 midget must be legal under the USAC Midwest Thunder Midget Series rules
21st Tow Money
It is the sole responsibility of each competitor for the effectiveness and proper installation, per the manufacturer’s specifications to be adequate for competition at every event. Each competitor is expected to investigate and educate themselves for continuing improvement regarding their own personal safety equipment.
Seat Belt/Restraint System
1. Each car should be equipped with an approved 5 point seat belt restraint system within the date of the belt expiration. Seat belts restraint systems shall be installed in accordance with the directions and application of the system supplier or manufacturer.
Helmet, Fire Suit, Gloves, Arm Restraints, and Other
1. Each driver must wear an approved full face helmet, fire suit with top and bottom, and racing shoes and gloves. The driver should wear the helmet and other safety equipment in accordance with the directions provided by the helmet manufacturer and/or supplier and the driver should make sure that equipment dates and quality/protection needs meets the needs of competitive racing.
2. Side Nets and Head and Neck restraints are strongly recommended
3. Arm restraints are required
1. RACEceiver (one way) Radio is mandatory and shall be used by drivers during all wheel packing, hot laps, heat races, and B/A Main sessions.
Competitors may compete in the midget class at age 14 with proper documents and proof of racing experience at the race director’s discretion.
Rookie of the Year Eligibility
To be eligible for the Montpelier Motor Speedway Rookie of the Year award, the driver cannot have more than 6 (6 or less) career combined starts in either the Montpelier Motor Speedway midget division and/or races on dirt that allows full size/full production midgets. It is considered a career start if you competed in the A Main event.
At the race director’s discretion, class may be split into two classes (Midgets and Mini-Sprints) if car count or competition level necessitates it.
A points fund will be paid for the 10 races. Amounts to be announced.
Heats (Top 2 Each Heat Redraw For Feature)
BMain (if needed)
1. Officials may change any of the Midget rules in the interest of fairness and safety at any time and all decisions are final!
2. Cars may be inspected at anytime. If car is found illegal, driver will lose all money and points for that night.
3. Top 5 Finishers will be weighed immediately following feature unless otherwise announced.
4. Midgets will follow all track procedures and car entry requirements.
The following specifications have been prepared by Montpelier Motor Speedway and their officials as guidelines for the construction of a Midget. No express or implied warranty of safety shall result from publications of or compliance with these rules. They are intended as a guide and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death to participants, spectators, or others.
These specifications are intended to be in effect throughout the 2014 auto-racing season. However, continuous development in auto racing and technology may necessitate changes in these guidelines, and management reserves the right to change them at any time.
THE PROMOTER/TRACK OFFICIALS SHALL BE EMPOWERED TO PERMIT MINOR DEVIATION FROM ANY OF THE SPECIFICATIONS HEREIN OR IMPOSE FURTHER RESTRICTIONS THAT IN THEIR OPINIONS DO NOT ALTER THE MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE REQUIREMENTS. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHOULD RESULT FROM SUCH ALTERATIONS OF SPECIFICATIONS. ANY INTERPRETATION OR DEVIATION OF THESE RULES IS LEFT TO THE DISCRETION OF THE PROMOTER/TRACK OFFICIALS. PROMOTER/OFFICIAL DECISIONS ARE FINAL.